Transfer Credit

Credit earned at other regionally accredited colleges or universities may be transferred by students presenting sealed official transcripts describing such credit. Transcripts that have been opened by students prior to submission will be considered unofficial and no credits will be transferred based upon such documents. Courses are acceptable for transfer at the level at which these courses were classified by the institution granting the credit.

Only courses in which a student has earned a grade equivalent of “C” or better will be acceptable for transfer. The only exception will be if a student transfers to UT Tyler Core complete from another Texas public college or university, and the transferring institution recognized a "D" as satisfying its Core Curriculum requirements.

After enrolling at UT Tyler, students who wish to enroll in courses at another university or college must have prior approval from their academic advisor and the Office of the Registrar on an Undergraduate Transient Form. For specific procedures review the Undergraduate Transient Admission section of this catalog.

Military Service Credit

Per HB 269, U.S. Military Veterans who meet the eligibility requirements below may elect to receive up to 12 undergraduate credit hours of physical education towards elective course requirements for their undergraduate degree.

The Military Service Credit option is available to Veterans who have met the following requirements:

  1. Graduated from a public or private high school, accredited by a generally recognized accrediting organization or from a high school operated by the United States Department of Defense.
  2. Honorably discharged former member of the armed forces of the United States
  3. Completed a minimum of two years of service in the armed services or was discharged because of a disability.

The awarding of credit is irrevocable (I.e., cannot be removed from transcript once awarded). Therefore, in deciding whether to claim this credit, students should consider, in consultation with an academic advisor, the impact of the credit on their eligibility for a tuition rebate and the possibility that they will be ineligible for Texas BOnTime loan forgiveness if they have excess credit.

To have the credit awarded, students must complete a Military Service Credit Agreement form and provide proof of eligibility as noted on that document. Signatures from the student’s academic advisor and department chair are required. Once processed (and approved), the appropriate amount of elective credit will be added to the student’s official academic record effective the date of approval.

Workforce Credit

Any baccalaureate degree in its entirety will be viewed and evaluated as a single degree; and if courses are transferred, they must meet transfer-level quality accreditation standards. Vocational, technical, and/or Workforce Education (WECM) courses that are “not intended for transfer”, will be used only in applied baccalaureate degrees, unless it is demonstrated, through evaluations by academically qualified professionals, and in accordance with appropriate policy and procedures for each non-applied baccalaureate degree program, that there are comparable course content and comparable learning outcomes and ensure that courses rise above the level of basic skills and constitute more than a training experience.

Texas Common Course Numbering System

The Texas Common Course Numbering System (TCCNS) is designed to aid students in the transfer of freshman and sophomore academic credit courses from colleges and universities throughout Texas. The University of Texas at Tyler has joined this consortium approved by the Texas Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers and the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. The system ensures that if the student takes courses that the receiving institution designates as common, then the courses will be accepted in transfer at other Texas public colleges and universities.

College Credit by Examination

Credit by examination may be established through testing programs such as the Advanced Placement Program (AP), the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), and International Baccalaureate (IB). Guidelines for credit by CLEP, AP, and IB examinations eligible for award by UT Tyler are published on the Office of the Registrar website, CLEP, AP, and IB credit received from a prior college/university will transfer as credit was awarded based on students’ official transcripts; in cases where exact credit awards are unclear on the transcript students may submit a supplemental letter of clarification, which must be printed on the official letterhead of the office responsible for producing official transcripts at the prior institution, to assist in credit transfer.

In accordance with the Texas Education Code (51.968) UT Tyler offers a minimum of 24 semester credit hours to any entering freshman student for successful completion of the IB Diploma Program. The awarded credit hours will be in the form of specific UT Tyler courses or general elective credit in relevant subject areas, as published on the Office of the Registrar website. Fewer than 24 semester credit hours may be granted if a student received a score of less than 4 on an examination administered as part of the diploma program. In such cases the determination of credit awarded for examinations with scores of 3 or lower will be at the discretion of the relevant academic advisor.

Students may decline the awarding of credits earned by examination if they wish to complete coursework through traditional enrollment. Requests to decline credit earned by examination must be submitted in writing to the Enrollment Services Center.

Transfer Disputes for Lower-Division Courses from Texas Institutions

The following procedures shall be followed by public institutions of higher education in the resolution of credit transfer disputes involving lower-division courses:

  1. The receiving institution shall give written notice to the student and to the sending institution that transfer of the course credit is denied
  2. Institutional representatives and the student shall attempt to resolve the transfer of the course credit in accordance with the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board rules and/or guidelines
  3. If the transfer dispute is not resolved to the satisfaction of the student or the sending institution within 45 days after the date the student receives written notice of denial, the institution that denies the transfer shall notify the Commissioner of Higher Education of the denial and the reason for the denial

The Commissioner or the Commissioner’s designee shall make the final determination concerning the dispute of the transfer of course credit and will give written notice of the determination to the student and each institution.

Correspondence Credit

A student may not apply more than six semester hours of upper-division correspondence credit toward a degree. Prior approval to include these hours in a degree plan must be secured from the student’s academic advisor, department chair, and dean. To secure this approval, follow the procedures outlined in the undergraduate transient approval section of this catalog. To transfer, courses must be awarded a letter grade of A, B, or C. Courses taken for CR must be approved prior to enrollment.